Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:49 PM
Subject: Mary Baker
It is with much sadness that I write to you. Some of you already have heard, but Mary Jane Johnston Baker entered into eternal glory at 5:20 p.m. today. Her last day of awareness was on Sunday. I was honored and blessed to have spent these final days with her. Her grandson, Billy, from Utah has been with her every single day, holding her hand, speaking softly and communicating in only a way a grandmother and grandchild could. What a blessing to witness that.
On Sunday before we left the hospital, she put her hand on my face and gazed into my eyes. Eyes really are the windows of the soul because she spoke volumes to me in that moment and in that gaze. What I saw in those eyes was a look of love and peace, a look like I’ve never seen on anyone ever in my life. I can’t begin to describe it. It was the way I would envision Jesus looking at me. She also did the same for Billy. I think it was her way of saying goodbye.
Billy had a flight back to Utah this afternoon and we got the call before he was due to leave that Mary probably wasn’t going to make it. At that point I went with what my heart told me to do. At this moment I knew Mary wasn’t alone. Our pastor was there, as well as her step-daughter and family. I thought about going to be with Mary, but in all reality I knew I said my final goodbye the night before…call it a gut feeling. I also called to the hospital and had the nurse whisper in Mary’s ear for both Billy and I, telling her that we love her and that we’ll be okay, that she should let go. My pastor also whispered those messages of love for us. I made Mary a promise that I would always watch out for her grandson. I knew in an instant that she would want me to focus on the living and be present with her grandson in his grief. Here comes the awesome part, the part where Mary and God knew what they were doing. I truly don’t think Mary wanted Billy present when she died, wanted to spare him that. As his plane was ascending towards the heavens, so was Mary. His flight left at the same time she died. I think it was her way of being able to be with him in that moment, to comfort him in her own way.
I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever encounter another person like Mary in my life, but I can try to live the way she did. She truly was the hands and feet of Christ, doing His work. Thank you all for your love and concern for Mary. I know she touched you all in a special way.
I think of the party that’s going on in heaven right now, all the rejoicing and hugs and laughter. Oh how, in my human-ness, I will miss her and want to hug her again and have her here in my world, but missing someone gets easier every day because even though you are one day further from the last time you saw them, you are one day closer to the next time you will.
God’s peace to you all,
![]() |
| Our regular Friday order...haddock, stewed tomatoes and Harvard beets. It really doesn't look too yummy in this pic, but trust me...it is:) |
![]() |
| Mary's hospital bracelet at Geisinger Medical Center. |
| Mary at dedication of Honor Roll at Historic Courthouse in Lewistown |
I just remembered some pictures that I received that were sent from Katarina and Stefan in Sweden. They were able to acquire some pictures of Jim's funeral in Malmo, Sweden. The pics were bittersweet. It was sad to see the flag-draped coffins, yet there was the thought that it wouldn't be long before Mary would be reunited with Jim. I actually told Mary about the pictures a couple of days before her death. She was always hoping, as was I, that new information would continue to surface. Here is the link for those pictures:



1 comment:
You were an absolute terrific friend to Mary. I just hope that I give my friends as mcuh as you gave Mary. Mary was a wonderful women and touched so many people lives. She will greatly be missed by so many people. I have thought of you so much since this happened.
Post a Comment