Monday, April 23, 2012

Fun in Philadelphia







Since it was Hannah's 16th, we wanted to do something special for her.  What a better way to celebrate than to experience the brotherly love in Philadelphia!  We had to wait until the weekend of my birthday due to Easter, but it was worth the wait.  The weather was absolutely beautiful!  She invited her friend Erin to join the fun.  We stopped at the King of Prussia Mall on the way in on Friday.  Seven hours later we finally saw the whole thing and Hannah was thrilled that everyone gave her cash for her birthday.  Let's face it, it's more fun to shop when you have some cash! 

From there we headed into the city where I scored an absolute steal on the Downtown Marriott.  I swear by Priceline, folks!  We only paid $80 a night for a 3-1/2 star hotel.  Full retail is around $245 a night!  We were right across from the Reading Terminal Market, which we love to explore.  The sights and sounds and smells are a wonderful thing!  Hannah also wanted to visit the Hard Rock Cafe, located right next to the hotel.  We ate dinner at Maggiano's our final night there....yummy!

We covered a lot of territory while we were there.  We took a taxi to the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  We didn't have time to go inside, but we walked around it and took in the beautiful scenery surrounding it.  From there we walked to the Mutter Museum, a place filled with medical anomolies and wonders.  I had seen it before, so Ned, Hannah and Erin went inside.  The girls said they actually felt a little sick looking at all of it...haha!  It's a place worth checking out, though.  From there we walked into the Walnut and Chestnut street areas so the girls could check out the shops.  We ended up in Rittenhouse Square and enjoyed a park bench and watched the people and the dogs being paraded around by their owners. 

We also went through Chinatown and then after all that walking, the girls headed to the hotel pool.  Our last morning we went to the historic district to see Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.  That was the first time I was in that section of the city and I definitely want to go back when we have more time.  So much to see! 








Reading Terminal Market


I hope this was a trip that Hannah will remember for a long time.  It was nice to spend time with her and watch her enjoy herself.  We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful daughter!

2 comments:

knit one, knit two said...

Aww love Philly! Haven't been there for a while - we love walking down walnut to rittenhouse square. We discovered a good polish restaurant near penn and there used to be a great German restaurant behind our hotel.

You're brave to drive in the city - we take the train from hsbg and hoof around town on the subway.

Denise, Ned, Sarah and Hannah said...

Yes, I love Philly as well! Ned is the one who drives there. I'd would be a mess. Got to look at the map the old fashioned way since the GPS signal often gets lost downtown. I know I don't comment often, but enjoy your blog. Looks like you had a nice trip too!